Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What have we become

Today was a very hard day for me. I went to visit my Great Grandmother in her nursing home. She has Alzheimer disease and may not have much longer. As I looked around the room I became very sullen, almost on the verge or tears the whole time. We participated in the laughter group (basically a woman acting silly to keep their spirits up) and the whole time all I could do was think, " how many of these people are alone, how many of these people never have visitors, how many of these people will pass alone?" I can not imagine it. I am sad that as a nation we toss our elderly and weak into homes to fight out their final days alone.
I have always felt that God put me on earth to help others in some way. Recently telling my husband that Echo Technician may not be the right career choice for me, as I felt it would not fulfill me emotionally. I want to change the world. Yes, I know that is impossible, but I have always been a believer that one person can make a change...even if it is just to one person. I never imagined myself working with the elderly, but maybe I am stronger than I thought. Maybe this the answer to my prayer for career guidance. 

No comments: