Friday, August 20, 2010

Susie Homemaker

You may not know this about me but I really love to cook. More importantly I love nutrition. For months now I have been doing OAMC or for all you newbs, Once a month cooking. I make healthy nutritious meals for my family and I stick them in the freezer and then come day to eat them thaw and microwave or just pop it in the oven while still frozen.  I do this because eating out is expensive and bad for you, and almost everything has artificial preservatives and fillers. For instance: canned black beans usually have added salt and the cans leak harmful chemicals into the food.
This week I kept my OMAC short and simple because we just moved and I am busy unpacking and chasing around a toddler.
My List of yummies:
Black beans- dry black beans soaked in water over night. After soaking overnight rinse and add about 6 cups of clean water to beans. Simmer for 2 hours or until tender. Rise with cool water and let stand for about 20 minutes. Shovel into ziploc bags (size is your preferance) and freeze. Can be kept up to 3 months.
Wild Rice- Any packaged Wild Rice(Costco has a good brand). Follow per instructions. Let cool and then put in ziploc bags and freeze.
Brown Rice- see above instructions for wild rice.
Blueberry cinammion pankcakes- I used a mix for this because my husband bought some a while back and I wanted to get rid of it. So, mix and add blueberries and cinnamon, as much or little as you like. Cook as usual, let cool(must do or they will stick together) and ziploc bag those suckers and freeze.
Homemade Uncrustables: Make your favorite PB&J and freeze. Of course I use natural peanut butter and homemade jam. PB and honey is great also. Also try to shoot for whole wheat or grain bread like franz which has no high fructose corn syrup.

That sums up my OAMC :)

2 comments:

mama dozer said...

check you out! i think you should post more of these. this is the kinda stuff id like to know but dont know where to look!
thanks!

Kerra Dawn said...

Np, I've discovered this is my art form :) I will def. do more posts like these.